What is the Weather Like in Samoa in November?
November is the first month of the “wet season” in Samoa, but it isn’t as morbid as it sounds. In fact, many regular visitors consider November to be a perfectly fine time to visit Samoa due to its adequate weather combined with the lack of tourists. Find out more about the temperatures, rainfall and more in this guide to the Samoa weather in November.
Before we jump into this weather guide for November, be sure to bookmark Samoa Weather, Seasons & Climate + Samoa Weather by Month, as well as The Best Time to Visit Samoa: A Month-by-Month Guide for more advice.
5 Tips for Visiting Samoa in November
- November is considered the low season in terms of the number of tourists visiting the islands. For this reason, don’t worry about booking too far in advance. Just go with the flow and look out for some good deals on activities and accommodation. We recommend booking your trip at least one week in advance
- Pack insect repellent, as the mosquito activity is prolific in November and the wet season – see the 10 Ways to Avoid Mosquito Bites in Samoa for tips
- An event to look out for is the palolo season. On the seventh day after the full moon in November (sometimes October or both), join the locals for beach parties in the best palolo fishing spots
- The UV levels are high in November, so be sure to apply high-factor reef-safe sunscreen often
- As the days are getting hotter, so are the nights. Luckily, most accommodations are equipped with air-conditioning or ceiling fans or are airy beach fales designed to keep you cool when sleeping.
Typical Temperatures in November
With the official start of the summer/wet season, the average temperature in the pretty consistent climate of Samoa goes up by a degree. Humidity is high and is likely to get more intense toward the end of the month.
Maximum average temperatures are usually around 30°C / 86°F, while the minimum average is around 24°C / 75°F.
Temperatures Across Samoa
- Apia, Upolu – The average maximum temperature is 30°C / 86°F and the minimum average temperature is 24°C / 75°F
- Lalomanu, Upolu – The average maximum temperature is 30°C / 86°F and the minimum average temperature is 24°C / 75°F
- Salelologa, Savai’i – The average maximum temperature is 30°C / 86°F and the minimum average temperature is 24°C / 75°F
- Fagamalo, Savai’i – The average maximum temperature is 30°C / 86°F and the minimum average temperature is 24°C / 75°F.
Sea Temperature in November
Samoa’s sea temperatures are warm and comfortable for swimming in all year round. In November, the temperature of the sea is on the rise, usually at around 29°C / 84°F.
Hours of Sun in November
November is when days start to get longer, from 12 to 13 daylight hours. There’s plenty of sunshine too, with an average of 7 hours of bright sunshine each day. For sun-lovers, November is a perfectly acceptable time to travel to Samoa.
UV Levels During November
The UV levels in November are the highest that Samoa experiences, making it essential to protect yourself from the sun. The UV level in November is typically 11+ UV index around midday. Be sure to wear high-factor sunscreen and follow our advice in The Best Sunscreens for Samoa + Sun Protection Tips.
Sunrise and Sunset During November
November has daylight hours lasting about 13 hours a day in Samoa.
- Sunrise: 06.53 am at the beginning of November and 6.49 am at the end of November
- Sunset: 7.29 pm at the beginning of November and 7.42 pm at the end of November.
Rainfall in November
Although the wet season might have begun, November experiences fewer rainfall days compared to the rest of the wet season (December, January, February, March and April). While data suggests November has an average of 6 days of rainfall throughout the month, our experience is short and heavy bursts of rain at least once or twice a day.
Samoa receives an average of 270 mm / 10.6″ of rainfall in the month of November.
Average Rainfall Across Samoa
- Apia, Upolu – The average rainfall in November is 270 mm / 10.6″
- Lalomanu, Upolu – The average rainfall in November is 261 mm / 10.3″
- Salelologa, Savai’i – The average rainfall in November is 270 mm / 10.6″
- Fagamalo, Savai’i – The average rainfall in November is 270 mm / 10.6″.
Tropical Storms in November
The South Pacific cyclone season starts in November and ends in April, making November a month with a slight risk of tropical storms but the risk is nowhere as likely as in later the months of December, January, February and March.
Historically, Samoa was only affected by a tropical cyclone in November 1875, 1890, 1923, 1927 and 1941.
If you want to completely avoid the risk of cyclones in Samoa, it’s best to travel in the dry season. For those planning to travel during November, it’s still a good idea to be aware of what to do in a cyclone by following our guide, Cyclone Safety in Samoa.
The Best Places to Visit in Samoa in November
November is a good time to visit either one of the islands of Samoa thanks to the lower tourist numbers, generally better travel deals and idyllic weather. While we list both of the destinations in Samoa in The Best Islands to Visit in Samoa for inspiration, here’s a quick overview:
Upolu – Upolu is the most popular island to visit in Samoa yet a little quieter in May before the high season really kicks in. Take advantage of its well-developed tourism scene, such as resorts, tours and activities. Showers are often short and sweet in May, so shouldn’t put too much of a damper on your travel plans. Find out more about what Upolu is all about in the 50 Best Things to Do on Upolu.
Savai’i – For South Seas tranquillity, opt for Samoa’s less-visited island. Discover historical sites reclaimed by jungles and lava, experience a more traditional slice of life through an array of authentic cultural experiences, and hop from one waterfall to the next. In addition, if you time your trip with the palolo season, Savai’i tends to have better access to the reefs to experience the phenomenon. See what Savai’i is all about in the 50 Best Things to Do on Savai’i.
Or better yet, visit them both! Check out our The Best Samoa Itineraries for 2 Week / 14 Days and The Best Samoa Itineraries for 10 Days, which gives you plenty of ideas to make the most of both islands.
November Packing List for Samoa
Be prepared for Samoa in November by packing these few seasonal essentials:
- Light clothing layers for the day (preferably linen, bamboo or merino so it is super light – we like the sustainable bamboo clothing of Moso Morrow)
- Light long-sleeved tops (to cover from sun and mosquitoes)
- Light pants/trousers/skirt (to cover the knees when appropriate – villages or church services or to protect from mosquitoes when hiking, for example)
- Rash vest (we like the UV-protecting Sharkskin rashies)
- Closed walking shoes
- Sarong (lavalava – you can always buy one once you arrive in Samoa at The Best Places to Buy Souvenirs)
- Insect repellent
- High-factor sunscreen (that’s reef-safe and water-resistant).
Get more ideas on what to pack with our guide, What to Pack for Samoa: FULL Samoa Packing List.
More About the Weather in Samoa in November
That’s it for our complete guide to the weather and climate in Samoa in November. Check out the following articles for more weather advice:
- Samoa Weather, Seasons & Climate + Samoa Weather by Month
- The Best Time to Visit Samoa: A Month-by-Month Guide
- Samoa Weather in September
- Samoa Weather in October
- Samoa Weather in December
Finally, enjoy a comprehensive guide to planning a trip to Samoa in The Best Samoa Travel Guide: Plan a Trip to Samoa the EASY Way.