What is the Weather Like in Samoa in March?
March is a month in Samoa‘s summer season, also known as the “wet season”. In fact, March is one of the hottest months of the year and sometimes even the wettest. While cyclones are still a risk (albeit a small risk), the risk is not as prominent as in the two previous months. Nevertheless, those still seeking sun between the showers are still likely to find it along with the rewarding experience of travelling during the tourist low season. Check out the typical weather, including temperature, rainfall and more, in this guide to the Samoa weather in March.
Before we jump into this weather guide for March, be sure to bookmark Samoa Weather, Seasons & Climate + Samoa Weather by Month, as well as The Best Time to Visit Samoa: A Month-by-Month Guide for more advice.
5 Tips for Visiting Samoa in March
- March falls in the tourist low season, so look out for great deals on flights and accommodation
- Wear high-factor sunscreen to protect yourself from the high UV levels experienced in Samoa during March
- Because it’s the wet season, there are a few more mosquitoes. Make sure you pack insect repellent and follow our tips in 10 Ways to Avoid Mosquito Bites in Samoa
- Want to avoid the rain as much as possible during the wet season? Consider heading to the southeast coast of Upolu (Lalomanu) where the climate is marginally drier
- It is true that Samoa can get really hot and humid in March. Don’t worry, there are plenty of opportunities to cool off in the water during the day, while most accommodations are either equipped with air conditioning, ceiling fans or the sea breeze in your open beach fale for pleasant nights.
Typical Temperatures in March
Being part of Samoa’s summer season, March is one of the warmest months of the year. Temperatures in March reach 30°C / 86°F on average, while the lowest temperatures are often around 24°C / 75°F. It’s also known to be extremely humid in March – a truly tropical experience!
Temperatures Across Samoa
- Apia, Upolu – The average maximum temperature is 30°C / 86°F and the minimum average temperature is 24°C / 75°F
- Lalomanu, Upolu – The average maximum temperature is 30°C / 86°F and the minimum average temperature is 24°C / 75°F
- Salelologa, Savai’i – The average maximum temperature is 30°C / 86°F and the minimum average temperature is 25°C / 77°F
- Fagamalo, Savai’i – The average maximum temperature is 30°C / 86°F and the minimum average temperature is 25°C / 77°F.
Sea Temperature in March
Although Samoa’s tropical waters are warm year-round, March is one of the months when sea temperatures are at their highest. Sea temperatures in Samoa are at an average of 29°C / 84°F in March.
Hours of Sun in March
Compared to January and February, Samoa’s days start to get a little shorter – from 13 daylight hours per day to 12 daylight hours. As for sunshine hours, expect around 6 hours of bright sunshine a day; much sunnier than in the dry season!
UV Levels During March
UV levels are at their highest in Samoa throughout March with levels being 11+ UV index around midday. Be sure to wear high-factor sunscreen! For advice on what sunscreen to wear, that’s safe for you and the reefs, see The Best Sunscreens for Samoa + Sun Protection Tips.
Sunrise and Sunset During March
March has daylight hours lasting about 12 hours a day in Samoa.
- Sunrise: 07.28 am at the beginning of March and 7.32 am at the end of March
- Sunset: 7.51 pm at the beginning of March and 7.31 pm at the end of March.
Rainfall in March
March is one of the wettest months to be in Samoa. Showers are usually extremely heavy albeit short – often described as “liquid sunshine”. If you need a rainy day backup, check out the ideas in the 20 Things to Do in Samoa on a Rainy Day.
Samoa receives an average of 332 mm / 13.1″ of rainfall in the month of March, with around 16 days out of March experiencing rain.
Average Rainfall Across Samoa
- Apia, Upolu – The average rainfall in March is 332 mm / 13.1″
- Lalomanu, Upolu – The average rainfall in March is 326 mm / 12.8″
- Salelologa, Savai’i – The average rainfall in March is 326 mm / 12.8″
- Fagamalo, Savai’i – The average rainfall in March is 326 mm / 12.8″.
Tropical Storms in March
The South Pacific cyclone season starts in November and ends in April, making March a month with a higher risk of tropical storms. On average, less than 1 day in March in Samoa is affected by tropical storms.
Historically, Samoa was affected by a tropical cyclone in March 1846, 1869, 1877, 1879, 1883, 1889, 1923, 1926, 1956 and 1961.
One of the most famous cyclone events in Samoa’s history is the 1889 Apia Cyclone. The cyclone swept across Apia during the “Samoan crises” where three colonial powers, the USA, Britain and Germany, lost most of their warships and the Apia Harbour was devasted. Learn more about the social history of this period in A Brief History of Samoa.
There has been no cyclone in recent history that has severely impacted Samoa during March.
If you want to avoid the risk of cyclones in Samoa, it’s best to travel in the dry season. For those planning to travel during March, be aware of what to do if there is a cyclone alert by following our guide, Cyclone Safety in Samoa.
The Best Places to Visit in Samoa in March
Visiting Samoa in March means visiting the islands during their quietest time in terms of tourist numbers. Enjoy island resorts and beach fales during those glorious times when they are not at full capacity.
Upolu – March is a good time to visit the ever-popular Upolu. Tourist numbers are low, so make the most of the island during its quiet time. When it does rain, you have more rainy-day options than on Savai’i. See what to do in Upolu in the 50 Best Things to Do on Upolu.
That’s not to say that Samoa’s other island, Savai’i shouldn’t be on your bucket list. If you have more time, we highly recommend taking the extra time to explore its awesome natural and historical wonders. Find out more about the Samoan islands The Best Islands to Visit in Samoa.
March Packing List for Samoa
Be prepared for Samoa in March by packing these few seasonal essentials:
- High-factor reef-safe sunscreen
- Insect repellent
- Light bamboo, linen or merino layers (we like the sustainable bamboo clothing of Moso Morrow)
- Light long-sleeved tops (to cover from sun and mosquitoes)
- Light pants/trousers (to cover the knees when appropriate – villages, church service, etc.)
- Rash vest (we like the UV-protecting Sharkskin rashies)
- Closed walking shoes
- Sarong (lavalava – you can always buy one once you arrive at The Best Places to Buy Souvenirs in Samoa).
Get more ideas on what to pack with our guide, What to Pack for Samoa: FULL Samoa Packing List.
More About the Weather in Samoa in March
That’s it for our complete guide to the weather and climate in Samoa in March. Check out the following articles for more weather advice:
- Samoa Weather, Seasons & Climate + Samoa Weather by Month
- The Best Time to Visit Samoa: A Month-by-Month Guide
- Samoa Weather in January
- Samoa Weather in February
- Samoa Weather in April
Finally, enjoy a comprehensive guide to planning a trip to Samoa in The Best Samoa Travel Guide: Plan a Trip to Samoa the EASY Way.