The Ultimate Samoa List
One thing that stands between you and a holiday in paradise is packing. Whether you love it or you hate it, packing needs to be done. But what do you need to pack for Samoa? In this complete packing list for Samoa, we go through what clothes you need to pack, as well as toiletries, medication, travel accessories, essentials, things for kids, and even what type of luggage to use.
Before we dive into our Samoa packing list, be sure to bookmark Arriving at Faleolo Airport, Samoa: A Step-by-Step Guide for even more Samoa preparation tips.
5 Packing Tips for Samoa
Before we get into what to pack for Samoa, here are some quick packing tips:
- Be aware of what you need to declare when arriving at the borders of Samoa – write a list if you have a few things that are difficult to remember
- Don’t overpack. If you are in Samoa for five days or a week, pack clothes to wear for each day. If you are in for a couple of weeks in paradise, pack for a week and use your accommodation or Apia’s laundry facilities or pack some handwashing detergent (check your accommodation’s laundry prices, as some charge per item)
- If you are taking more than one flight to Samoa, make sure to check the baggage allowance of all your flights and take the strictest one into consideration. Otherwise, excess charges may apply.
- Contact your bank to let them know you are travelling, just in case they block your card
- Use packing cubes to organise your suitcase – see our favourites on Amazon or these premium packing cubes to separate dirty from clean clothes.
Now, let’s get into the full packing list for Samoa!
Clothes Packing List for Samoa
Samoa has consistently warm weather – an average high of around 30°C (86°F) in the day and lows of 24°C (75°F) – so light clothing is the way to go when packing for Samoa. Also, note that there are local customs when it comes to clothing, i.e. not wearing anything way too revealing, which is why we have included clothing items to “cover-up” in the below packing list. Learn more about the local customs regarding clothing in What to Wear in Samoa: Clothes Packing List and Samoan Etiquette: Samoa Customs & Traditions.
What Should I Pack for 5 Days, 1 Week, or 2 Weeks in Samoa?
If staying in Samoa for less than a week, we recommend packing enough clothes for each day. If in Samoa for more than a week, then pack a week’s worth of clothes and make use of the laundry facilities in your accommodation. If there are no laundry facilities available, which may be the case at some beach fales, or your accommodation charges per laundry item (which is ridiculously expensive) you can use laundromats in Apia or pack some handwashing detergent.
Now, here’s a quick overview of what clothes to pack for Samoa. For our complete guide with all the details, make sure you also go to What to Wear in Samoa: Clothes Packing List.
Samoa Casual Clothing
- 4 Singlets/T-Shirts
- 2 Blouses/Shirts to cover the shoulders for church, visiting villages and exploring
- 2 Shorts/Skirts which are not too short so you can enjoy wearing them at both your resort and when out exploring
- 1 Light evening dress to impress at dinner
- 1 Dress/Skirt below the knee for church, going to town or villages, etc. We recommend light fabrics such as the sustainable bamboo dresses and skirts by Moso Morrow
- 1 Sarong (Lavalava) will be your best friend for hitting the beach and covering your swimwear in between swimming. You can bring your own or there are plenty for sale once you arrive in Samoa
- 1 or 2 Light sleepwear if you’re against sleeping in your undies
- 1 Light Cardigan/Pashmina/Poncho for windy/rainy days
- 1 Sports shorts/Leggings for hiking/active activities
- 1 Sports T-shirt/Singlet for hiking/active activities
- 1 Outfit to travel between Samoa and home
- 3 Bras including strapless, sports and comfortable bras
- 6 Underwear
- 4 Socks.
- 1 Bikini for resort beach/pool
- 1 One-piece for swimming tours/public beaches
- 2 Boardshorts for guys
- 1 Rash vest (we like sustainable Sharkskin rashies).
Samoa Protective Clothing
- Light shirt to cover arms and back
- Light rain jacket.
- Walking shoes/Sneakers
- Reef shoes/Water shoes.
Travel Accessories Packing List for Samoa
From the absolutely essential travel documents to the not-so-essential-but-good-to-have e-reader, this list of travel accessories has something for everyone but not necessarily everything for everyone. While we all have our preferences, here are some ideas on what travel accessories to pack for Samoa. Pick and choose what applies to you!
Samoa Travel Essentials and Paperwork
- Boarding pass/booking paperwork
- Travel ticket/booking paperwork for travel out of Samoa
- Accommodation contact details
- Credit/debit card
- Samoan Tala (or cash to exchange in Samoa)
- Driver’s license (if renting a car)
- Medical prescription
- Travel insurance policy (optional).
Head to What Documents Do I Need to Travel to Samoa? for all the details on this all-essential paperwork.
Samoa Travel Accessories and Electronics
- Snorkelling gear (if you’re not staying in a resort or prefer your own)
- Beach/Travel towel
- Waterproof camera
- Chargers for electronic devices
- Type 1 travel adapter
- Lifestraw water bottle
Some of these items fall under the “essential” or “highly recommended” category, which you can read more about in the 20 Essentials You Need to Pack for Samoa.
Samoa Travel Accessories for Kids
- Baby mosquito net
- Waterproof kids camera
- Go!: Kids Interactive Travel Diary
- Reusable Swim Diaper Training Pants
- GPS tracker/child locator
- Travel games
- Baby carrier
- Portable steriliser
- Baby formula
See the 25 Tips for Your Family Samoa Vacation with Kids for more information on some of the items mentioned.
Samoa Food Packing List
While we don’t generally recommend that you pack food for Samoa, if you have dietary needs that are often hard to cater for abroad (aside from vegan/vegetarian and gluten-free – we’ve got you covered), then you may want to bring a few essential ingredients. See what you can and cannot take in Taking Food to Samoa: What You Need to Know.
Toiletries and Medication Packing List for Samoa
Everyone has their own morning routine and different toiletries they use, so this list may well have a few things you don’t use, as well as a few things missing.
If you’re trying to pack light and are staying in resorts and hotels, know that many accommodations in Samoa provide shampoo, conditioner and soap in ensuite bathrooms.
A first aid kit is also important to address medical problems that commonly occur when holidaying in Samoa, such as sunburn, heatstroke and mosquito bites. For more information on packing your own first aid kit, see What Medication to Pack in Your First Aid Kit for Samoa.
Samoa First Aid Kit
- Travel vaccine passport (vaccinations record)
- Antihistamine pills or cream
- Oral rehydration sachets (medical electrolytes)
- Baby electrolytes
- Antidiarrhoeal pills e.g. loperamide
- Nasal drops
- Butterfly closures
- Disinfectant wipes
- Elastic wraps
- Flight socks
- Antisceptic cream/spray
- Hydrocortisone cream
- Aloe vera soothing cream
- Hand sanitiser
- A copy of the emergency numbers in Samoa
- Antibiotics if recommended by your GP.
For information on what each medication is for, again, check out What Medication to Pack in Your First Aid Kit for Samoa.
Samoa Toiletries and Other Medication
- Reef-safe sunscreen
- SPF lip balm
- Insect repellent
- Seasickness pills
- Prescription medication
- Shampoo/conditioner (if not staying in a resort/hotel)
- Feminine hygiene products
- Soap (if not staying in a resort/hotel)
- Razor/hair removal
- Glasses/contact lenses
- Nail clippers
For more health tips for travelling, see Samoa Safety Tips: Is it Safe to Travel to Samoa?
What Type of Luggage to Use for Samoa
Finally, what are you going to pack it all into? Everyone has their preferences for luggage, but for Samoa, a suitcase with wheels tends to be the best option. Most surfaces are sealed where you’re going in Samoa, with the exception of beach fales. But if you prefer travelling with a backpack; we don’t need to convince you how versatile they are that they’ll certainly work in Samoa – especially when staying at a budget beach fale or on one of the smaller islands.
Luggage to Take to Samoa
More About What to Pack for Samoa
That’s it for our complete packing list for Samoa! If you want to dive into more about what to pack for Samoa, just check out our other guides:
- The Duty-Free Allowances for Samoa
- How Much Spending Money Do You Need for Samoa?
- Will Your Phone Work in Samoa?
Finally, be fully prepared for Samoa with The Best Samoa Travel Guide: Plan a Trip to Samoa the EASY Way.