What is the Weather Like in Samoa in April?
With April being in Samoa‘s tropical wet season, it brings a whole new meaning to the phrase “April Showers”. Nevertheless, April is the last season of the wet season, starting to transition into a drier climate yet with high temperatures and humidity that appeals to sun-seeking holidaymakers. What’s more, for those wanting a quiet time to visit Samoa, where accommodations and attractions have much fewer tourists (and a healthy dose of locals making the most of their backyard), April is a great time to visit. As for typical temperatures, rainfall and more, check out the guide below to the Samoa weather in April!
Before we jump into this weather guide for April, be sure to bookmark Samoa Weather, Seasons & Climate + Samoa Weather by Month, as well as The Best Time to Visit Samoa: A Month-by-Month Guide for more advice.
5 Tips for Visiting Samoa in April
- April falls into the tourist low season in Samoa, so look out for good deals on flights and accommodation
- April is usually hot and humid so look for accommodation with air-conditioning, ceiling fans, airy beach fales, etc. and, remember, there are plenty of water activities to help cool you down
- Wear high-factor (and reef-safe) sunscreen to protect against the high UV levels
- Mosquitoes are more active during the wet season, so be sure to pack insect repellent and check out the 10 Ways to Avoid Mosquito Bites in Samoa
- Samoa celebrates Good Friday, the Day After Good Friday and Easter Monday (often falling in April but sometimes in May) as a public holiday. Most businesses will close on that day as Samoa is a very religious country. It is best to plan a day at your accommodation or visit the islands’ natural attractions.
Typical Temperatures in April
When other South Pacific nations see temperatures start to fall in April, Samoa’s summer temperatures persist with high heat and humidity (it’s closer to the Equator than its neighbours of Fiji, Tonga, Niue and the Cook Islands). Luckily, there are plenty of swimming holes, airy beach fales and water activities to help cool you down.
Temperatures in April can still reach a maximum of 30°C / 86°F on average, while the lowest temperatures are around 24°C / 75°F at night.
Temperatures Across Samoa
- Apia, Upolu – The average maximum temperature is 30°C / 86°F and the minimum average temperature is 24°C / 75°F
- Lalomanu, Upolu – The average maximum temperature is 30°C / 86°F and the minimum average temperature is 24°C / 75°F
- Salelologa, Savai’i – The average maximum temperature is 30°C / 86°F and the minimum average temperature is 24°C / 75°F
- Fagamalo, Savai’i – The average maximum temperature is 30°C / 86°F and the minimum average temperature is 24°C / 75°F.
Sea Temperature in April
Samoa has warm sea temperatures all year round, making it ideal for water sports. Sea temperatures in April are at an average of 29°C / 84°F.
Hours of Sun in April
With that change of season, days start to get ever so slightly shorter in April. Daylight hours are at an average of 12 hours, however, sun hours in recent years have been recorded at an average of 7 hours per day (that’s more than the average sun hours during the first few months of the year). All in all, expect to still get a good amount of sun for a Samoa getaway in April.
UV Levels During April
UV levels are still at their highest in Samoa throughout April with levels being 11+ UV index around midday. Be sure to wear high-factor sunscreen and reapply regularly. For advice on what sunscreen to wear, that’s safe for you and the reefs, see The Best Sunscreens for Samoa + Sun Protection Tips.
Sunrise and Sunset During April
April has daylight hours lasting about 12 hours a day in Samoa.
- Sunrise: 07.32 am at the beginning of April and 6.36 am at the end of April
- Sunset: 7.30 pm at the beginning of April and 6.13 pm at the end of April.
Rainfall in April
Still officially in the wet season, April typically experiences its fair share of rain in Samoa (but not as much as the previous months). Rainfall patterns tend to be short albeit extremely heavy, often followed quickly by sunshine, so be prepared for both when you’re out and about.
If you were hoping to avoid the rain as much as possible, we recommend travelling during the dry season. However, if you’re prepared with some of the 20 Things to Do in Samoa on a Rainy Day, you’ll still have fun and interesting experiences in between soaking up the sun.
Samoa receives an average of 261 mm / 10.3″ of rainfall in the month of April, with around 12 days out of April experiencing rain.
Average Rainfall Across Samoa
- Apia, Upolu – The average rainfall in April is 261 mm / 10.3″
- Lalomanu, Upolu – The average rainfall in April is 261 mm / 10.3″
- Salelologa, Savai’i – The average rainfall in April is 264 mm / 10.4″
- Fagamalo, Savai’i – The average rainfall in April is 264 mm / 10.4″.
Tropical Storms in April
The South Pacific cyclone season starts in November and ends in April, making April the final month with a higher risk of tropical storms. On average, however, less than 1 day in April in Samoa is affected by tropical storms.
Historically, Samoa was only affected by a tropical cyclone in April 1850, 1855 and 1877. The only cyclone that has affected Samoa in recent history, however, is Cyclone Amos (2016). Despite preparations with around 60 residents evacuated prior to the storm, the damage was not as severe as predicted, with the Category 4 storm decreasing to Category 3 by the time it hit Samoa. The most damage, however, was flooding on the roads in Savai’i and power outages during the storm.
If you want to avoid the risk of cyclones in Samoa, it’s best to travel in the dry season. For those planning to travel during March, be aware of what to do if there is a cyclone alert by following our guide, Cyclone Safety in Samoa.
The Best Places to Visit in Samoa in April
Catch Samoa’s most popular and easy-to-visit island, Upolu, while it’s still the quiet season before the tourist crowds arrive in the following months. Get photos at the famous To Sua Ocean Trench and Papase’ea Sliding Rocks amongst other attractions without the crowds and easily find secluded beaches to enjoy from your beachside fale. See what to do in Upolu in the 50 Best Things to Do on Upolu.
That’s not to say that Samoa’s other island, Savai’i shouldn’t be on your bucket list. If you have more time, we highly recommend taking at least a couple of days to explore its awesome natural and historical wonders. Find out more about the Samoan islands The Best Islands to Visit in Samoa.
April Packing List for Samoa
Be prepared for Samoa in April by packing these few seasonal essentials:
- High-factor reef-safe sunscreen
- Insect repellent
- Light bamboo, linen or merino layers (we like the sustainable bamboo clothing of Moso Morrow)
- Light long-sleeved tops (to cover from sun and mosquitoes)
- Light pants/trousers (to cover the knees when appropriate – villages, church service, etc.)
- Rash vest (we like the UV-protecting Sharkskin rashies)
- Closed walking shoes
- Sarong (lavalava – you can always buy one once you arrive in Samoa at The Best Places to Buy Souvenirs).
Get more ideas on what to pack with our guide, What to Pack for Samoa: FULL Samoa Packing List.
More About the Weather in Samoa in April
That’s it for our complete guide to the weather and climate in Samoa in April. Check out the following articles for more weather advice:
- Samoa Weather, Seasons & Climate + Samoa Weather by Month
- The Best Time to Visit Samoa: A Month-by-Month Guide
- Samoa Weather in February
- Samoa Weather in March
- Samoa Weather in May
Finally, enjoy a comprehensive guide to planning a trip to Samoa in The Best Samoa Travel Guide: Plan a Trip to Samoa the EASY Way.