What is the Weather Like in Samoa in February?
Travellers are often surprised by Samoa in February. Despite unappealing labels like the “wet season”, February still experiences many sunny days. With that, it’s also the tourist low season where visitors can certainly experience a more tranquil South Seas experience. On the other hand, you’d have to be very lucky to not experience tropical downpours during February in Samoa. Furthermore, there’s a slight risk of tropical storms and cyclones, which can be a deterrent to those who prefer to “play it safe” with the weather. Although February is one of Samoa’s hottest and most humid months, it will be something that you’ll either love or you’ll hate. Find out more about the Samoa weather in February in the guide below.
Before we jump into this weather guide for February, be sure to bookmark Samoa Weather, Seasons & Climate + Samoa Weather by Month, as well as The Best Time to Visit Samoa: A Month-by-Month Guide for more advice.
5 Tips for Visiting Samoa in February
- Make sure you always wear high-factor (and reef-safe) sunscreen throughout the day
- Mosquitoes are more active during February, so pack insect repellent! Check out the 10 Ways to Avoid Mosquito Bites in Samoa for tips
- February is Samoa’s low season, so look out for good deals on flights and accommodation
- Also with the low season in mind, note that some tours have limited availability during February. Nevertheless, all of Samoa’s natural attractions will still be open
- While February is hot and humid, remember that there are plenty of ways to cool down, thanks to Samoa’s array of water sports, ocean and some resorts having swimming pools – check out the 10 Best Water Activities in Samoa for inspiration.
Typical Temperatures in February
Typically, February is the hottest and most humid month of the year in Samoa. February falls in the middle of the South Pacific summer season, otherwise known as the “wet season”.
Temperatures in February reach 30°C / 86°F at a maximum on average during February, while the lowest temperatures are around 24°C / 75°F – mostly experienced at night.
Temperatures Across Samoa
- Apia, Upolu – The average maximum temperature is 30°C / 86°F and the minimum average temperature is 24°C / 75°F
- Lalomanu, Upolu – The average maximum temperature is 30°C / 86°F and the minimum average temperature is 24°C / 75°F
- Salelologa, Savai’i – The average maximum temperature is 30°C / 86°F and the minimum average temperature is 24°C / 75°F
- Fagamalo, Savai’i – The average maximum temperature is 30°C / 86°F and the minimum average temperature is 24°C / 75°F.
Sea Temperature in February
Samoa experiences warm waters year-round. However, February is one of the months when sea temperatures in Samoa are at their highest. Sea temperatures are at an average of 29°C / 84°F in February.
Hours of Sun in February
Long and mostly sunny days are experienced in Samoa during February. February has some of the longest days of the year, with 13 hours of daylight and an average of 6 hours of bright sunshine a day. So if you’re seeking the sun in Samoa, you’re sure to find plenty at this time of the year.
UV Levels During February
With UV levels at 11+ UV index at midday, it’s absolutely essential to protect yourself with high-factor sunscreen in Samoa during February. For advice on what sunscreen to wear, that’s safe for you and the reefs, see The Best Sunscreens for Samoa + Sun Protection Tips.
Sunrise and Sunset During February
February has daylight hours lasting about 13 hours a day in Samoa.
- Sunrise: 7.19 am at the beginning of February and 7.28 am at the end of February
- Sunset: 8.02 pm at the beginning of February and 7.51 pm at the end of February.
Rainfall in February
That’s right, February is one of the wettest times of the year in Samoa. The average number of days of rainfall during this month is 16 days. In other words, you’ll be hard-pressed to avoid the rain in Samoa in February.
February is in the middle of the South Pacific “wet season”, where rainfall patterns tend to be short but incredibly heavy. If you need a rainy day backup, check out the ideas in the 20 Things to Do in Samoa on a Rainy Day.
Samoa receives an average of 325 mm / 12.8″ of rainfall in the month of February, with around 16 days out of February experiencing rain.
Average Rainfall Across Samoa
- Apia, Upolu – The average rainfall in February is 325 mm / 12.8″
- Lalomanu, Upolu – The average rainfall in February is 311 mm / 12.2″
- Salelologa, Savai’i – The average rainfall in February is 316 mm / 12.4″
- Fagamalo, Savai’i – The average rainfall in February is 316 mm / 12.4″.
Tropical Storms in February
The South Pacific cyclone season starts in November and ends in April, making February a month with a higher risk of tropical storms. On average, less than 1 day in February in Samoa is affected by tropical storms.
Historically, Samoa was affected by a tropical cyclone in February 1889, 1903, 1941, 1947, 1954, 1957 and 1968. In more recent history, Cyclone Ofa (February 1990) caused flooding and US$130 million worth of damage. In February 2018, Cyclone Gita caused rivers to burst their banks, flooding and damage to the power grid.
If you want to avoid the risk of cyclones in Samoa, it’s best to travel in the dry season. For those planning to travel during February, be aware of what to do if there is a cyclone alert by following our guide, Cyclone Safety in Samoa.
The Best Places to Visit in Samoa in February
February is one of the quietest months in Samoa in terms of tourist numbers, partly due to the unappealing wet season and partly due to it being summer in New Zealand and Australia where many tourists come from. Nevertheless, those who travel in February can expect much of the place to themselves or with locals – depending on where you stay.
Upolu – Upolu is the most popular island to visit in Samoa, so if you want to experience it during the less “buzzing” summer season, February is a good time to go. You’re also more likely to find irresistible airfares and discounts for Samoa’s most sought-after accommodations in February. See what to do in Upolu in the 50 Best Things to Do on Upolu.
That’s not to say that Samoa’s other island, Savai’i shouldn’t be on your bucket list. If you have more time, we highly recommend taking the extra time to explore its awesome natural and historical wonders. Find out more about the Samoan islands The Best Islands to Visit in Samoa.
February Packing List for Samoa
Be prepared for Samoa in February by packing these few seasonal essentials:
- High-factor reef-safe sunscreen
- Insect repellent
- Light bamboo, linen or merino layers (we like the sustainable bamboo clothing of Moso Morrow)
- Light long-sleeved tops (to cover from sun and mosquitoes)
- Light pants/trousers (to cover the knees when appropriate – villages, church service, etc.)
- Rash vest (we like the UV-protecting Sharkskin rashies)
- Closed walking shoes
- Sarong (lavalava – you can always buy one once you arrive at The Best Places to Buy Souvenirs in Samoa).
Get more ideas on what to pack with our guide, What to Pack for Samoa: FULL Samoa Packing List.
More About the Weather in Samoa in February
That’s it for our complete guide to the weather and climate in Samoa in February. Check out the following articles for more weather advice:
- Samoa Weather, Seasons & Climate + Samoa Weather by Month
- The Best Time to Visit Samoa: A Month-by-Month Guide
- Samoa Weather in December
- Samoa Weather in January
- Samoa Weather in March
Finally, enjoy a comprehensive guide to planning a trip to Samoa in The Best Samoa Travel Guide: Plan a Trip to Samoa the EASY Way.