What is the Weather Like in Samoa in September?
Experience the best of every season during September in Samoa. Warm tropical temperatures and moderate-to-high humidity make September a comfortable month to lap up the sun in Samoa. What’s more, September lies between the tourist high season and low season, making it a great time of the year to experience the ideals of Samoa’s “winter sun” without having to pay the full price for flights. It’s the perfect time to come to Samoa to relax, as well as seek adventure with natural attractions to revel in and clear waters for snorkelling and scuba diving.
Although you don’t really need to worry about the Samoa weather in September, here’s some more information about the temperatures, rainfall, daylight hours and more.
Before we jump into this weather guide for September, be sure to bookmark Samoa Weather, Seasons & Climate + Samoa Weather by Month, as well as The Best Time to Visit Samoa: A Month-by-Month Guide for more advice.
5 Tips for Visiting Samoa in September
- September marks the end of the busy season in Samoa. Still, a bit of planning is recommended; we recommend booking your trip at least two weeks in advance (unless you’re staying in beach fales, which some are easier to book over the phone once you’re on the island)
- The water visibility is at its best in September, so pack your snorkel mask or book that dive trip
- UV levels are high, so be sure to apply high-factor reef-safe sunscreen regularly
- Note that if it has been a particularly dry season, some waterfall attractions may be dried up – see which ones are sometimes at risk in the 10 Best Waterfalls in Samoa
- September is considered a safe time to visit Samoa with little risk of cyclones.
Typical Temperatures in September
Temperatures might still be at their “winter low”, but they barely deviate from summer temperatures with highs averaging at 29°C / 84°F. Although the evenings are cooler, they are still a comfortable average of 23°C / 73°F.
Humidity balances between moderate and high, which feels like a warm tropical hug but most don’t find it too humid during this time. Sea temperatures are at their coldest of the year but, again, they are only marginally cooler than summer – still totally swimmable!
Temperatures Across Samoa
- Apia, Upolu – The average maximum temperature is 29°C / 84°F and the minimum average temperature is 23°C / 73°F
- Lalomanu, Upolu – The average maximum temperature is 29°C / 84°F and the minimum average temperature is 23°C / 73°F
- Salelologa, Savai’i – The average maximum temperature is 29°C / 84°F and the minimum average temperature is 23°C / 73°F
- Fagamalo, Savai’i – The average maximum temperature is 29°C / 84°F and the minimum average temperature is 23°C / 73°F.
Sea Temperature in September
Samoa has warm sea temperatures all year round. Even in winter, the sea temperature rarely drops below 28°C / 82°F.
Hours of Sun in September
Although it’s the “dead of winter” in September in Samoa, days are still long with around 12 hours of daylight each day. Visitors will also experience plenty of sunshine, with an average of 8 bright sunshine hours each day. In short, this makes September one of the sunniest months in Samoa on average. Get to the beach (and don’t forget to pay your entry fees)!
UV Levels During September
September is the winter month in Samoa with the highest UV levels at a whopping 11+ UV index, so wearing sunscreen is essential. For advice on what sunscreen to wear, that’s safe for you and the reefs, see The Best Sunscreens for Samoa + Sun Protection Tips.
Sunrise and Sunset During September
September has daylight hours lasting about 12 hours a day in Samoa.
- Sunrise: 06.32 am at the beginning of September and 7.11 am at the end of September
- Sunset: 6.22 pm at the beginning of September and 7.23 pm at the end of September.
Rainfall in September
Short bursts of rain are what to expect in terms of rainfall in September in Samoa. With only an average of 5 days of rain in the month, you don’t have to worry about spending too long getting soaked by the skies. What’s more, rainfall rates are similar across Samoa, so there’s no need to plan where you visit around the rain.
Samoa receives an average of 180 mm / 7.1″ of rainfall in the month of September, with around 5 days of the month experiencing rain.
Average Rainfall Across Samoa
- Apia, Upolu – The average rainfall in September is 180 mm / 7.1″
- Lalomanu, Upolu – The average rainfall in September is 177 mm / 7″
- Salelologa, Savai’i – The average rainfall in September is 180 mm / 7.1″
- Fagamalo, Savai’i – The average rainfall in September is 180 mm / 7.1″.
Tropical Storms in September
The South Pacific cyclone season starts in November and ends in April. As such, September is one of the best months to avoid tropical cyclones in Samoa with a very low risk of tropical storms developing.
The Best Places to Visit in Samoa in September
Both of Samoa’s two main islands are ideal to visit in September, so be sure to compare them both in The Best Islands to Visit in Samoa. If you only have time to visit one, however, we recommend travelling to the island less visited during this busier time of year, Savai’i.
For South Seas tranquillity, opt for Samoa’s less-visited island just across the pond from Samoa’s international airport. Discover historical sites reclaimed by jungles and lava, experience a more traditional slice of life through an array of authentic cultural experiences, and hop from one waterfall to the next. See what Savai’i is all about in the 50 Best Things to Do on Savai’i.
That’s not to say that Samoa’s main island, Upolu shouldn’t be on your bucket list. If you have more time, we highly recommend taking the extra time to explore its awesome natural and cultural wonders.
September Packing List for Samoa
Be prepared for Samoa in September by packing these few seasonal essentials:
- Light clothing layers for the day (preferably linen, bamboo or merino preferably so it is super light – we like the sustainable bamboo clothing of Moso Morrow)
- Light long-sleeved tops (to cover from sun and mosquitoes)
- Light pants/trousers/skirt (to cover the knees when appropriate – villages or church services or to protect from mosquitoes when hiking, for example)
- Rash vest (we like the UV-protecting Sharkskin rashies)
- Closed walking shoes
- Sarong (lavalava – you can always buy one once you arrive in Samoa at The Best Places to Buy Souvenirs)
- Insect repellent
- High-factor sunscreen (that’s reef-safe and water-resistant).
Get more ideas on what to pack with our guide, What to Pack for Samoa: FULL Samoa Packing List.
More About the Weather in Samoa in September
That’s it for our complete guide to the weather and climate in Samoa in September. Check out the following articles for more weather advice:
- Samoa Weather, Seasons & Climate + Samoa Weather by Month
- The Best Time to Visit Samoa: A Month-by-Month Guide
- Samoa Weather in July
- Samoa Weather in August
- Samoa Weather in October
Finally, enjoy a comprehensive guide to planning a trip to Samoa in The Best Samoa Travel Guide: Plan a Trip to Samoa the EASY Way.