What is the Weather Like in Samoa in June?
June is the time when many travellers from Australia or New Zealand look to escape the winter – often looking to Samoa! Samoa is essentially a winterless group of islands where temperatures are unlikely to drop below 24°C / 75°F – even at night! Days tend to be mostly dry and balmy, where it’s extremely comfortable to swim in the warm tropical waters, explore the islands’ more unique swimming holes and potter around for some tropical and cultural sightseeing. All of these reasons are also why June is typically part of the busy tourist season in Samoa. Learn about the temperatures, rainfall and more in this guide to the Samoa weather in June.
Before we jump into this weather guide for June, be sure to bookmark Samoa Weather, Seasons & Climate + Samoa Weather by Month, as well as The Best Time to Visit Samoa: A Month-by-Month Guide for more advice.
5 Tips for Visiting Samoa in June
- While June is considered the dry season, expect rain at any time
- The water visibility is at its best in June, so pack your snorkel mask or book that dive trip
- Apply high-factor reef-safe sunscreen in regular intervals
- June is the beginning of the busy tourist season so you’ll need to plan your trip early to secure your top choice of accommodation and activities (with the exception of basic beach fales, whose owners are usually not that organised). We recommend booking your trip at least four weeks (or more) in advance
- Note that June 1 is Independence Day, a public holiday in Samoa, so expect some businesses to be closed on this day. Natural attractions are still typically open.
Typical Temperatures in June
June is when it finally feels like Samoa’s summer is transitioning to winter – but barely. Temperatures starting to drop (steadily) from the previous months. However, the humidity tends to still be high at this time of year, wrapping you up in the tropical warmth.
Temperatures in June can still reach a maximum of 29°C / 84°F on average, while the lowest temperatures are around 24°C / 75°F at night.
Temperatures Across Samoa
- Apia, Upolu – The average maximum temperature is 29°C / 84°F and the minimum average temperature is 24°C / 75°F
- Lalomanu, Upolu – The average maximum temperature is 29°C / 84°F and the minimum average temperature is 24°C / 75°F
- Salelologa, Savai’i – The average maximum temperature is 29°C / 84°F and the minimum average temperature is 24°C / 75°F
- Fagamalo, Savai’i – The average maximum temperature is 29°C / 84°F and the minimum average temperature is 24°C / 75°F.
Sea Temperature in June
Samoa has warm sea temperatures all year round, making it ideal for water sports. June is the month when sea temperatures are recorded to drop slightly at an average of 28°C / 82°F.
Hours of Sun in June
While the days in June in Samoa are at their shortest out of the whole year, that’s still an average of 11 hours of daylight. Sunshine hours are typically 8 hours a day; the highest average of the year! In short, June is the perfect time for sun lovers to visit Samoa.
UV Levels During June
The UV levels in June in Samoa are less harsh than in the islands’ summer months. However, with a level of 8 UV index around midday (in other words, very high!), it’s still essential to apply high-factor sunscreen. For advice on what sunscreen to wear, that’s safe for you and the reefs, see The Best Sunscreens for Samoa + Sun Protection Tips.
Sunrise and Sunset During June
June has daylight hours lasting about 11 hours a day in Samoa.
- Sunrise: 06.44 am at the beginning of June and 6.51 am at the end of June
- Sunset: 6.06 pm at the beginning of June and 6.10 pm at the end of June.
Rainfall in June
June is one of the driest months to visit Samoa with a minor chance of rainfall sporadically throughout the month. In other words, there will be odd rainy spells, with Samoa receiving an average of 165 mm / 6.5″ of rainfall in June and usually only 5 days of rain throughout the month. On the plus side, these rainy spells typically occur at night.
Average Rainfall Across Samoa
- Apia, Upolu – The average rainfall in June is 165 mm / 6.5″
- Lalomanu, Upolu – The average rainfall in June is 156 mm / 6.1″
- Salelologa, Savai’i – The average rainfall in June is 165 mm / 6.5″
- Fagamalo, Savai’i – The average rainfall in June is 165 mm / 6.5″.
Tropical Storms in June
That’s not to say, however, that it can’t happen, as Cyclone Keli (June 1997) was the first recorded post-season cyclone in the South Pacific, which narrowly missed Samoa by 200 km / 125 mi.
The Best Places to Visit in Samoa in June
Both of Samoa’s two main islands are ideal to visit in June, so be sure to compare them both in The Best Islands to Visit in Samoa. If you only have time to visit one, however, we recommend travelling to the island less visited during this busier time of year, Savai’i.
For South Seas tranquillity, opt for Samoa’s less-visited island just across the pond from Samoa’s international airport. Discover historical sites reclaimed by jungles and lava, experience a more traditional slice of life through an array of authentic cultural experiences, and hop from one waterfall to the next. See what Savai’i is all about in the 50 Best Things to Do on Savai’i.
That’s not to say that Samoa’s main island, Upolu shouldn’t be on your bucket list. If you have more time, we highly recommend taking the extra time to explore its awesome natural and cultural wonders.
June Packing List for Samoa
Be prepared for Samoa in June by packing these few seasonal essentials:
- Light clothing layers for the day (preferably linen, bamboo or merino so it is super light – we like the sustainable bamboo clothing of Moso Morrow
- Light long-sleeved tops (to cover from sun and mosquitoes)
- Light pants/trousers/skirt (to cover the knees when appropriate – villages, church services or to protect from mosquitoes when hiking, for example)
- Rash vest (we like the UV-protecting Sharkskin rashies)
- Closed walking shoes
- Sarong (lavalava – you can always buy one once you arrive in Samoa at The Best Places to Buy Souvenirs)
- Insect repellent
- High-factor sunscreen (that’s reef-safe and water-resistant).
Get more ideas on what to pack with our guide, What to Pack for Samoa: Samoa Packing List.
More About the Weather in Samoa in June
That’s it for our complete guide to the weather and climate in Samoa in June. Check out the following articles for more weather advice:
- Samoa Weather, Seasons & Climate + Samoa Weather by Month
- The Best Time to Visit Samoa: A Month-by-Month Guide
- Samoa Weather in May
- Samoa Weather in July
- Samoa Weather in August
Finally, enjoy a comprehensive guide to planning a trip to Samoa in The Best Samoa Travel Guide: Plan a Trip to Samoa the EASY Way.