What is the Weather Like in Samoa in July?
What does winter look like in Samoa? Well, think balmy days of around 29°C / 84°F, slightly cooler evenings and dry days most of the time. No wonder July is one of the most popular times to visit the islands! The weather and sea temperatures are ideal for doing just about any activity in Samoa, including snorkelling, scuba diving and even surfing. Because of the popularity of Samoa during the month of July, it’s best to book your spot early where possible. In the meantime, check out more tips about the climate in this guide to the Samoa weather in July.
Before we jump into this weather guide for July, be sure to bookmark Samoa Weather, Seasons & Climate + Samoa Weather by Month, as well as The Best Time to Visit Samoa: A Month-by-Month Guide for more advice.
5 Tips for Visiting Samoa in July
- While July is considered the dry season, expect rain at any time
- The water visibility is at its best in July, so pack your snorkel mask or book that dive trip
- Apply high-factor reef-safe sunscreen in regular intervals
- July is the peak tourist season so you’ll need to plan your trip early to secure your top choice of accommodation and activities where possible (many beach fale operators are on island time, so these accommodations are sometimes best booked over the phone a day or two ahead). As for the rest, we recommend booking your trip at least four weeks (or more) in advance
- Note that if it has been a particularly dry season, some waterfall attractions may be dried up – see which ones are sometimes at risk in the 10 Best Waterfalls in Samoa.
Typical Temperatures in July
Warm, balmy and with warm sea temperatures, Samoa sure has a good winter season. The average maximum temperature in July is 29°C / 84°F, which is a comfortable temperature for most, especially as the humidity that comes with it tends to be moderate. Although the evenings are cooler, they are still a comfortable average of 23°C / 73°F.
Temperatures Across Samoa
- Apia, Upolu – The average maximum temperature is 29°C / 84°F and the minimum average temperature is 23°C / 73°F
- Lalomanu, Upolu – The average maximum temperature is 29°C / 84°F and the minimum average temperature is 23°C / 73°F
- Salelologa, Savai’i – The average maximum temperature is 29°C / 84°F and the minimum average temperature is 23°C / 73°F
- Fagamalo, Savai’i – The average maximum temperature is 29°C / 84°F and the minimum average temperature is 23°C / 73°F.
Sea Temperature in July
Samoa has warm sea temperatures all year round. Even in winter, the sea temperature rarely drops below 28°C / 82°F.
Hours of Sun in July
During July, Samoa’s daylight hours are 11 hours long – pretty long considering we are in the winter months. Visitors will experience an average of 8 hours of bright sunshine per day, making July one of the sunniest months in Samoa on average. Get to the beach (and remember to pay your entry fees)!
UV Levels During July
The UV levels in July in Samoa are very high with a level of 8 UV index around midday. Needless to say, sunscreen and other forms of sun protection are a must. For advice on what sunscreen to wear, that’s safe for you and the reefs, see The Best Sunscreens for Samoa + Sun Protection Tips.
Sunrise and Sunset During July
July has daylight hours lasting about 11 hours a day in Samoa.
- Sunrise: 06.51 am at the beginning of July and 6.49 am at the end of July
- Sunset: 6.10 pm at the beginning of July and 6.18 pm at the end of July.
Rainfall in July
Rainfall is quite minimal in Samoa in the month of July. In fact, it’s often the driest month of the year! Although there is an average of 133 mm / 5.2″ of rain, there are typically only 5 days of rainfall throughout the month. Showers tend to be heavy but don’t last for too long. What’s more, most rainfall tends to occur at night during July.
Average Rainfall Across Samoa
- Apia, Upolu – The average rainfall in July is 133 mm / 5.2″
- Lalomanu, Upolu – The average rainfall in July is 127 mm / 5.0″
- Salelologa, Savai’i – The average rainfall in July is 134 mm / 5.4″
- Fagamalo, Savai’i – The average rainfall in July is 134 mm / 5.4″.
Tropical Storms in July
The Best Places to Visit in Samoa in July
Both of Samoa’s two main islands are ideal to visit in July, so be sure to compare them both in The Best Islands to Visit in Samoa. If you only have time to visit one, however, we recommend travelling to the island less visited during this busier time of year, Savai’i.
For South Seas tranquillity, opt for Samoa’s less-visited island just across the pond from Samoa’s international airport. Discover historical sites reclaimed by jungles and lava, experience a more traditional slice of life through an array of authentic cultural experiences, and hop from one waterfall to the next. See what Savai’i is all about in the 50 Best Things to Do on Savai’i.
That’s not to say that Samoa’s main island, Upolu shouldn’t be on your bucket list. If you have more time, we highly recommend taking the extra time to explore its awesome natural and cultural wonders.
July Packing List for Samoa
Be prepared for Samoa in July by packing these few seasonal essentials:
- Light clothing layers for the day (preferably linen, bamboo or cotton so it is super light – we like the sustainable bamboo clothing of Moso Morrow)
- Light long-sleeved tops (to cover from sun and mosquitoes)
- Light pants/trousers/skirt (to cover the knees when appropriate – villages, church services or to protect from mosquitoes when hiking, for example)
- Rash vest (we like the UV-protecting Sharkskin rashies)
- Closed walking shoes
- Sarong (lavalava – you can always buy one once you arrive in Samoa at The Best Places to Buy Souvenirs)
- Insect repellent
- High-factor sunscreen (that’s reef-safe and water-resistant).
Get more ideas on what to pack with our guide, What to Pack for Samoa: FULL Samoa Packing List.
More About the Weather in Samoa in July
That’s it for our complete guide to the weather and climate in Samoa in July. Check out the following articles for more weather advice:
- Samoa Weather, Seasons & Climate + Samoa Weather by Month
- The Best Time to Visit Samoa: A Month-by-Month Guide
- Samoa Weather in June
- Samoa Weather in August
- Samoa Weather in September
Finally, enjoy a comprehensive guide to planning a trip to Samoa in The Best Samoa Travel Guide: Plan a Trip to Samoa the EASY Way.