What is the Weather Like in Samoa in August?
There’s a reason why Samoa is such a popular holiday destination in August. For Americans, Samoa’s warm weather and soothing sea breeze offer relief from the Northern Hemisphere summer, while Australians and New Zealanders can escape the winter. Incidentally, August is also one of the busiest months in Samoa. Even if it is a little busier in Samoa during August, the allure of the warm sunny days, warm sea temperatures and awesome conditions for snorkelling, scuba diving and surfing understandably might draw you in regardless. If that’s the case, take a look at our guide to the Samoa weather in August.
Before we jump into this weather guide for August, be sure to bookmark Samoa Weather, Seasons & Climate + Samoa Weather by Month, as well as The Best Time to Visit Samoa: A Month-by-Month Guide for more advice.
5 Tips for Visiting Samoa in August
- August is one of the most popular months to visit Samoa, so book flights and accommodation well in advance to avoid disappointment (with the exception of beach fales, who are sometimes easiest to book just a day or two in advance with a quick phone call)
- The water visibility is at its best in August, so pack your snorkel mask or book that dive trip
- UV levels are high, so be sure to apply high-factor reef-safe sunscreen regularly
- Note that the Monday after the second Sunday in August is Father’s Day in Samoa, a public holiday where some businesses are closed (natural attractions tend to still be open, however)
- Note that if it has been a particularly dry season, some waterfall attractions may be dried up – see which ones are sometimes at risk in the 10 Best Waterfalls in Samoa.
Typical Temperatures in August
Temperatures might be at their lowest in Samoa during August, but they hardly deviate from summer temperatures with highs averaging at 29°C / 84°F. Although the evenings are cooler, they are still a comfortable average of 23°C / 73°F.
Humidity balances between moderate and high, which feels like a warm tropical hug but most don’t find it too humid during this time. Sea temperatures are at their coldest of the year but, again, they are only marginally cooler than summer – still totally swimmable!
Temperatures Across Samoa
- Apia, Upolu – The average maximum temperature is 29°C / 84°F and the minimum average temperature is 23°C / 73°F
- Lalomanu, Upolu – The average maximum temperature is 29°C / 84°F and the minimum average temperature is 23°C / 73°F
- Salelologa, Savai’i – The average maximum temperature is 29°C / 84°F and the minimum average temperature is 23°C / 73°F
- Fagamalo, Savai’i – The average maximum temperature is 29°C / 84°F and the minimum average temperature is 23°C / 73°F.
Sea Temperature in August
Samoa has warm sea temperatures all year round. Even in winter, the sea temperature rarely drops below 28°C / 82°F.
Hours of Sun in August
The great thing about Samoa in winter is that the days are relatively long and sunny. The average hours of daylight are 12 hours per day, while sunshine hours are usually around 8 hours. In short, this makes August one of the sunniest months in Samoa on average. Get to the beach (and don’t forget to pay your entry fees)!
UV Levels During August
After usually experiencing lower UV levels in the previous two months, Samoa’s UV levels start to rise again in August. The UV level in August is typically around 10 UV index around midday, which is very high. It’s a good idea to apply high-factor sunscreen throughout the day. For advice on what sunscreen to wear, that’s safe for you and the reefs, see The Best Sunscreens for Samoa + Sun Protection Tips.
Sunrise and Sunset During August
August has daylight hours lasting about 12 hours a day in Samoa.
- Sunrise: 06.48 am at the beginning of August and 6.33 am at the end of August
- Sunset: 6.19 pm at the beginning of August and 6.22 pm at the end of August.
Rainfall in August
August still has a few rainy days in Samoa even though it’s the “dry season”. Although there are fewer days of rain compared to many other months, August can still have very heavy showers on occasion. Most of the time, these occur at night.
Samoa receives an average of 155 mm / 6.1″ of rainfall in the month of August, with only around 3 days of the month experiencing rain.
Average Rainfall Across Samoa
- Apia, Upolu – The average rainfall in August is 155 mm / 6.1″
- Lalomanu, Upolu – The average rainfall in August is 149 mm / 5.9″
- Salelologa, Savai’i – The average rainfall in August is 152 mm / 6″
- Fagamalo, Savai’i – The average rainfall in August is 152 mm / 6″.
Tropical Storms in August
The South Pacific cyclone season starts in November and ends in April. As such, August is one of the best months to avoid tropical cyclones in Samoa with a very low risk of tropical storms developing.
The Best Places to Visit in Samoa in August
Both of Samoa’s two main islands are ideal to visit in August, so be sure to compare them both in The Best Islands to Visit in Samoa. If you only have time to visit one, however, we recommend travelling to the island less visited during this busier time of year, Savai’i.
For South Seas tranquillity, opt for Samoa’s less-visited island just across the pond from Samoa’s international airport. Discover historical sites reclaimed by jungles and lava, experience a more traditional slice of life through an array of authentic cultural experiences, and hop from one waterfall to the next. See what Savai’i is all about in the 50 Best Things to Do on Savai’i.
That’s not to say that Samoa’s main island, Upolu shouldn’t be on your bucket list. If you have more time, we highly recommend taking the extra time to explore its awesome natural and cultural wonders.
August Packing List for Samoa
Be prepared for Samoa in August by packing these few seasonal essentials:
- Light clothing layers for the day (preferably linen, bamboo or merino so it is super light – we like the sustainable bamboo clothing of Moso Morrow)
- Light long-sleeved tops (to cover from sun and mosquitoes)
- Light pants/trousers/skirt (to cover the knees when appropriate – villages, church services or to protect from mosquitoes when hiking, for example)
- Rash vest (we like the UV-protecting Sharkskin rashies)
- Closed walking shoes
- Sarong (lavalava – you can always buy one once you arrive in Samoa at The Best Places to Buy Souvenirs)
- Insect repellent
- High-factor sunscreen (that’s reef-safe and water-resistant).
Get more ideas on what to pack with our guide, What to Pack for Samoa: FULL Samoa Packing List.
More About the Weather in Samoa in August
That’s it for our complete guide to the weather and climate in Samoa in August. Check out the following articles for more weather advice:
- Samoa Weather, Seasons & Climate + Samoa Weather by Month
- The Best Time to Visit Samoa: A Month-by-Month Guide
- Samoa Weather in June
- Samoa Weather in July
- Samoa Weather in September
Finally, enjoy a comprehensive guide to planning a trip to Samoa in The Best Samoa Travel Guide: Plan a Trip to Samoa the EASY Way.