Where is the Best Place to Stay in Apia?
Welcome to your ultimate guide on where to stay in Apia! Here, we’re not just covering the best side, village or suburb to stay in Apia, but we’re also listing the best Apia accommodations in each area.
Whatever your vibe and whatever your budget, there are Apia accommodations to suit. We cover all of Apia’s accommodations, splitting them by location, as well as accommodation categories (hotel, budget, apartment, etc.) to help you choose the best place to stay in Apia for you!
A Note About Accommodation Standards in Apia
Samoa is a developing country with far fewer accommodations and, in turn, expertise than some of the more developed tourist hubs of the South Pacific. Many properties are a little overpriced for the quality offered and even the most “upscale” stays may have a few hiccups like air-conditioning not working, ants in the bathroom, etc. Keep your expectations straight and you’re sure to have an enjoyable stay.
The Top 10 Accommodations in Apia
Before we dive into this complete guide on where to stay in Apia, we thought you’d find it helpful for us to list our top 10 Apia accommodations and where to find them.
- Lava Hotel – Sogi (Central Apia)
- The Samoan Outrigger Hotel – Malifa (South Apia)
- Le Manumea Hotel – Vailima (South Apia)
- Taumeasina Island Resort – Taumeasina (East Apia)
- Samoana Boutique Hotel – Taumeasina (East Apia)
- Tanoa Tusitala Hotel – Sogi (Central Apia)
- Vaea Hotel Samoa – Vaea (Central Apia)
- The White House Hotel – Fugalei (Central Apia)
- Dave Parker Eco Lodge – Tapatapao (South Apia)
- Insel Fehmarn Hotel – Tanugamanono (South Apia)
Apia Accommodation in Saleufi, Fugalei and Vaea (Central Apia)
Stay close to the action at the most central accommodations in Apia. Saleufi is the village/district where central Apia is located, home to several eateries and supermarkets, as well as attractions like Samoa Cultural Village and Friendship Park. Fugalei is a tad southwest of Saleufi, famous for the Fugalei Market, while Vaea is to the southeast; all within walking distance of each other.
More About Staying in Saleufi, Fugalei and Vaea (Central Apia)
What’s Central Apia good for? Shopping, business, culture, events and markets.
What to do there? Samoa Cultural Village, Apia Town Clock, Fugalei Market, Flea Market, Fish Market, Bus Station, Immaculate Conception Cathedral, Friendship Park and more.
Where to eat? Milani Caffe, Cornwall Cafe, Georgies Pizza, Coffee Roaster, Krush Juice Bar, Island Grill, Tifaimoana Indian, Skippy’s Restaurant, McDonald’s and more. See The Food Guide to Apia for more details.
The Best Budget Hotels in Saleufi, Fugalei and Vaea (Central Apia)
- Vaea Hotel Samoa – Boutique child-free hotel
- Talofa Inn – Budget B&B with free WiFi
- White House Hotel – Modern boutique budget hotel
- Moatoga Hotel – Affordable rooms near Fugalei Market
- Eden’s Edge Hotel – Garden hotel with a pool
For more details on some of these accommodations, check out the 20 Best Budget Accommodations in Apia.
The Best Apartments in Saleufi and Fugalei (Central Apia)
- MKR Serviced Apartments – Self-catering apartments
- Nia Mall Apartments – Renovated apartments in mall
More information on these apartments is listed in the 10 Best Holiday Apartments in Samoa.
The Best Motels in Saleufi and Fugalei (Central Apia)
- Valentine’s Motel – Cheap rooms in a homely setting
- Tatiana Motel Fugalei – Budget rooms showing their age
Head to the 7 Best Motels in Samoa to learn more about these accommodations.
Apia Accommodation in Sogi (Mulinuu Peninsula)
The suburb/village of Sogi is on the lower half of the Mulinuu Peninsula that stretches along one side of the Apia Harbour. Harbour views are the main draw to this area, as well as its easy access to Central Apia within walking distance. An attractive selection of hotels can be found here.
More About Staying in Sogi (Mulinuu Peninsula)
What’s Sogi good for? Hotels and restaurants, nightlife, harbour views and easy access to the town centre.
What to do there? Historical memorials, nightlife, architectural sightseeing, outrigger canoe races and more.
Where to eat? Sails Restaurant, Amanaki Restaurant, 1905 Eatery, Beachcomber, The Deck Restaurant and more.
The Best Four-Star Hotels in Sogi (Mulinuu Peninsula)
- Lava Hotel – Upscale contemporary hotel with free WiFi
- Tanoa Tusitala Hotel – Polynesian hotel with a pool and free WiFi
The Best Three-Star Hotels in Sogi (Mulinuu Peninsula)
- Amanaki Hotel – Hotel with a reputable restaurant
- Hotel Elisa – Family-run hotel with self-contained units
- Hotel Millenia – Low-key hotel with a pool
Find out more about all of the hotels listed above in the 25 Best Hotels in Apia & Upolu.
Apia Accommodation in Vaiala
One of the more attractive areas of Apia, Vaiala has its own unassuming beach, as well as easy access to one of the country’s best snorkelling spots, the Palolo Deep Marine Reserve. You’re also just a short walk from the Apia Marina and Beach Road where a number of restaurants await, as well as Apia’s most popular night scene.
More About Staying in Vaiala
What’s Vaiala good for? Access to the beach and Apia Marina.
What to do there? Palolo Deep, dining and nightlife.
Where to eat? The Edge Marina, Oceans Cafe, Paddles Restaurant, Seafood Gourmet and more.
The Best Accommodation in Vaiala
- Ulalei Lodge – Budget rooms with shared bathrooms and a cafe
- Vaiala Beach Cottages – Cheap self-contained cottages
Find out more about these accommodations in the 10 Best Boutique Accommodations in Apia.
Apia Accommodation in Taumeasina
On the eastern side of Apia, Taumeasina is most famous for its manmade island resort which is also open for day visitors, while a few budget accommodations and a boutique hotel make up the remaining offering. Admittedly, there’s less to do on this side of town, providing more of a village ambience than the bustle of the main city.
More About Staying in Taumeasina
What’s Taumeasina good for? Accommodation, shopping and watching national sporting competitions.
What to do there? Pacific Jewell Gift Shop, resort visit at Taumeasina Island Resort, Apia Park and more.
Where to eat? Pacific Jewell Garden Cafe, Black Pepper Cafe, Taumeasina Restaurant & Bar, Sina’s Restaurant, Lapita Restaurant, Cascade Poolside Dining and more.
The Best Resorts and Hotels in Taumeasina
- Taumeasina Island Resort – Samoa’s largest resort
- Samoana Boutique Hotel – Hotel rooms and apartments
Check out the 15 Best Family Accommodations in Apia to learn more about these accommodations.
The Best Budget Accommodation in Taumeasina
- Olivia’s Accommodation – Cheap guesthouse with a garden
- Eteline’s Homestay – Basic fales with Samoan hospitality
- Taumesina Hideaway – Ensuite units by a popular bar.
Learn more about these stays in the 20 Best Budget Accommodations in Apia.
Apia Accommodation in Malifa, Moto’otua and Tanugamanono
Following the Cross Island Road south is a cluster of accommodations in the neighbouring villages/suburbs of Malifa, Moto’otua and Tanugamanono. As well as some of Apia’s best accommodations, you’ll also find its trendiest eateries making this district a must if food is at the fore of your stay.
More About Staying in Malifa, Moto’otua and Tanugamanono
What’s Malifa, Moto’otua and Tanugamanono good for? Easy access to the Cross Island Road, reputable dining options and healthcare facilities.
What to do there? Museum of Samoa, dining and more.
Where to eat? Giordano’s Pizzeria, Scalini’s Restaurant, Kokobanana Bar & Grill, Phat Burger, Krush Juice Lounge, RiVaiv Cafe and more.
The Best Hotels in Malifa, Moto’otua and Tanugamanono
- The Samoan Outrigger Hotel – Well-kept budget hotel
- Insel Fehmarn Hotel – 3-star hotel with self-catering
- Alec’s Hotel – Hotel rooms and self-contained units
- Travellers Point Hotel – Low-key boutique hotel
- Tivoli Aparthotel – Spacious apartments with a pool
All of these accommodations sit proudly in the 25 Best Hotels in Apia & Upolu.
The Best Budget Accommodation in Malifa, Moto’otua and Tanugamanono
- Aniva’s Place – Guesthouse with a homely ambience
- Lynn’s Getaway – Budget hotel with a pool and free WiFi
- Karl’s Getaway – Student-style accommodation with a pool
- Lynn’s Apartments – Small self-contained apartments
Apia Accommodation on the Outskirts
Apia’s remaining accommodations are scattered across the outskirts of the capital, from the slopes of Mt Vaea in Vailima to the plantations of Tapatapao, Tanumapua and beyond. You’ll definitely want to hire a vehicle to get into town from these accommodations. Otherwise, bus transport will get you where you need to go on their schedule.
The Best Accommodations on the Outskirts of Apia
- Le Manumea Hotel (Vailima) – Polynesian boutique hotel with fiafia nights near the RLS Museum
- Dave Parker Eco Lodge (Tapatapao) – Cheap lodge rooms surrounded by lush forest
- Orator Hotel (Tanumapua) – Affordable resort-like rooms with gardens, pool and restaurant
- Apaula Heights Lounge (Apaula Heights) – Rustic units on the slopes of Mt Vaea
- Samoa Tradition Resort (Ululoloa Heights) – Hotel and apartments rooms among gardens with fiafia nights
- Talanoa Fales (Moamoa) – Self-contained garden units with friendly hosts
Find out more about these hidden gems in the 25 Best Hotels in Apia & Upolu and 10 Best Self-Catering Accommodations in Apia & Upolu.
The Best Accommodations in Apia: Accommodation Categories
By now, you’ve probably realised that Apia has accommodations appealing to all types of travellers and that here, at Samoa Pocket Guide, we’ve ranked all the best! Browse Apia accommodation by category using the following links:
- 25 Best Hotels
- 10 Best Boutique Accommodations
- 10 Best Self-Catering Accommodations
- 10 Best Holiday Homes
- 7 Best Motels
- 20 Best Budget Accommodations
- 10 Most Romantic Wedding & Honeymoon Hotels
- 10 Best Family Accommodations.
Plan more of your trip according to different travel styles using The Complete Travel Guide to Apia.
More About Where to Stay in Apia + The Best Apia Accommodations
Woah! Well done for making it this far in our guide to the best Apia accommodations. By now, you probably have a good idea of where to stay in Apia, so plan the rest of your trip with these guides:
- 25 BEST Things to Do in Apia
- The Food Guide to Apia: Places to Eat & Food Tours
- Samoa Travel Tips: 30 Tips for Travelling in Samoa
Finally, if you’re still unsure where to stay, go back to square one with our guide, Where to Stay in Samoa: The 50 Best Accommodations in Samoa.