How to Get Your Scuba Diving Certification in Samoa
You’ve probably seen videos or pictures of unusual underwater worlds of corals and fish of all shapes, sizes and colours. Now it’s time to take the leap into the depths of Samoa‘s waters to find you’re own slice of underwater heaven. Find out where to get certified in this eye-opening sport in this guide on how to learn to scuba dive in Samoa!
Scuba diving in Samoa is truly amazing thanks to its wonderful array of coral and tropical fish among super clear water. For beginners, your first few dives will be in the unintimidating and sheltered lagoon among its own array of colourful fish before moving onto more exciting dive sites with turtles, reef sharks, octopus and more! Samoa has a couple of choices of PADI dive centres. Dive schools in Samoa are accredited to an international standard to ensure you get the best and safest training to learn how to dive.
5 Reasons to Learn How to Dive in Samoa
As if you need a reason to learn how to dive in Samoa! It’s Samoa! But if you’re still sceptical that this island paradise is the right place to learn, then these points should help you clear the bubbles…
- Both of Samoa’s dive shops offer PADI certifications, which are the most accepted dive accreditations internationally
- The water temperature averages a comfortable 29°C (84.2°F) and the visibility is usually around 30 m (98 ft), so there’s rarely a bad time to learn in Samoa – just check out The Best Time to Dive in Samoa to see what we mean
- There’s so much to see underwater with thousands of fish and coral species, as well as sea turtles, grey reef sharks, scorpionfish, octopus and much much more
- The variety of dive sites is astounding not only while you’re learning but to explore after you’re qualified – just see The Best Scuba Diving in Samoa: Top 10 Places to Scuba Dive for ideas
- Plus, there’s so much more to do in Samoa between dives – check out our 101 Best Things to Do in Samoa: The Ultimate List for ideas.
You only have one option when it comes to diving accreditations and certifications in Samoa: PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors).
PADI is not only the most accepted form of diving certification with global recognition but they have high standards when it comes to safety. Needless to say, this is absolutely essential for any diver, not just beginners. Moreover, if you don’t finish your scuba diving course at a dive centre in Samoa, you can pick up where you left off at another dive centre worldwide, as long as it’s also PADI affiliated.
Where to Learn to Dive in Savai’i: Savai’i Dive Centres
Samoa’s largest yet less-visited island, Savai’i, is also home to just one scuba diving operation. They are strategically located in Fagamalo close to several accommodations like Le Lagoto Resort, Savaii Lagoon Resort, as well as beach fales along the coast of Manase. Plan more of your excursion to Savai’i using The Complete Travel Guide to Savai’i.
Dive Savai’i is also a PADI 5* dive centre offering just the basics of what most budding scuba divers need to get certified. Their learn-to-dive courses include:
- PADI Discover Scuba Diving – Get a taste of scuba diving in Savai’i’s gorgeous lagoon without taking a full course
- PADI Open Water Diver – Internationally recognised official certification. This course certifies you to dive to a depth of 18 m (59 ft) with a buddy but without supervision. The course takes 3 to 5 days to complete.
Dive Savai’i also offers discounts for those who have learned to dive on any two of their PADI courses and want to progress with their advanced courses, which you can browse the full list of in The Best Dive Shops & Operators in Samoa.
The Price of Scuba Diving Lessons in Samoa
Admittedly, the cost of learning to scuba dive in Samoa is not as reasonable as elsewhere in the South Pacific. On the plus side, dive operators charge very similar prices for scuba dive courses. The typical cost for scuba diving certifications in Samoa is as follows:
- PADI Discover Scuba (intro dive): ST$350-$400
- PADI Open Water Diver (3-5 days): ST$1,250
Note that the prices stated above have all the dive gear and any boat travel, etc. included but don’t include accommodation transfers.
For more costs involved in planning a getaway to Samoa, check out our guide, Samoa Travel Budget: How Much Does a Trip to Samoa Cost?
Where to Learn to Dive in Upolu: Upolu Dive Centres
The main island of Samoa, Upolu currently has no dive operators. Learn more about other things to do on this island in The Complete Travel Guide to Upolu.
[CLOSED] Pure Ocean
Update: Pure Ocean is no longer operating. This page will be updated when a new operator becomes available.
Learn more about Samoa dive operators in The Best Dive Shops & Operators in Samoa, as well as the sort of dive sites you’ll explore in The Best Scuba Diving in Samoa: Top 10 Places to Scuba Dive.
More About Learning to Dive in Samoa
Now that you know where to learn to dive in Samoa and the best places to get your scuba diving certification, check out places to stay and other things to do in Samoa:
- The Best Samoa Travel Guide
- Samoa Transport Guide: 10 Best Ways to Get Around Samoa
- Where to Stay in Samoa: The Best Accommodations in Samoa